Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Observation Week 1

OBSERVATIONS:
     This week I chose to observe a group of 9 middle school students at Six Flags located in New Orleans, LA. These students were on a class trip and were there to ride attractions and have fun. It was a reward for their excelling in school.  All of the students were members of S.W.A.T. or Students with Advanced Thoughts.  This group was composed of 7 Caucasians and 2 African Americans.  There were 5 females and 4 males that were between the ages of 10 and 12.
     As I watched the students I witnessed two clicks form.  One click was made up of three students who were dressed in very laid back clothing.  The other 6 students were dressed in more stylish name brand clothing including Hollister and Aeropostale.  Teachers and parents were there to supervise, however, I noticed that when the teachers directly addressed the students or asked them to do something they acted as though they failed to hear the requests.  It was clear that they did not want to be associated with the teachers because they seemed to view it as uncool.  I observed that the students felt themselves to old to need adult supervision. I noticed that the clique of 3 was more willing to listen to the teachers than the other clique. In addition, I saw that the teens showed great camaraderie, they had constant contact with one another through hugging, play hitting,  and picking on one another.
REFLECT:
     In Brighton's book cliques were discussed and I saw for myself two cliques. I saw that they were separated by their style of clothing. Each clique had adopted their own code of dress. In addition, Brighton noted that as children get older their associations become more heterogeneous.  I saw that this was the case. Both genders mixed together as well as two races. Also noted in the book was the need for companionship and to be close to others.  This was clearly evident by watching how the students interacted with one another.

FUTURE:
    Seeing the students interact outside the classroom showed me that teaching adolescents can be very rewarding.  As a teacher one can see students excel and as a result one can witness the students be rewarded with things such as trips and awards. It makes me excited to think that I can help students achieve and be happy. In addition, seeing the attitude the students had towards the teachers outside of the classroom showed that students want to be independent and have space.  I think this will influence how I teach.  I will try not to be overbearing or too helpful. I will strive to make learning a challenge and give the students the chance to solve issues and problems on their own.

1 comment:

  1. I am quite jealous. I love Six Flags. I also love New Orleans. That sounds like a neat trip. Good job with the blog.

    ReplyDelete