Saturday, June 23, 2012

Closure Blog, June 23


This week is the end of the wiki postings for our class. While I may be happy not to have to post to the wiki anymore (simply because it takes time), I am glad that we did have to do this.

 I found certain sections/pages of the wiki to be more valuable than others. I believe that the first wiki page on physical development is the most important.  The wiki postings are all about children coming of age.  I feel that coming of age all begins with the physical changes that begin in a child and spiral into other changes.  Physical changes bring about mood changes, attitude changes, health issues, problems socially, and can lead to intellectual changes occurring. I feel that physical change is the start or basis for which children develop into themselves.  On a personal level, I think that the section in health and wellness that covers nutrition including children being undernourished, bulimia, anorexia, obesity, etc is extremely important because I have witnessed children struggling with aspects of nutrition on a regular basis, especially in Mississippi. Providing nutritional food is now, more than ever, a concern because of the number of people in the U.S. who struggle with it.

Personally, I wouldn't say that any of the parts of the wiki are less valuable than others, but if I had to choose I would choose the section on brain development from the moral, religious, and character development chapter mainly because it is full of theories and more complex words. The information included in this chapter is important, its just a more technically written chapter.

The hardest thing about these wikis was finding solutions to the issues that students will face.  It was hard to think what to do for the student from the viewpoint of the teacher. As a teacher there are certain boundaries that one should not overstep and I had to consider this when I was coming up with the solutions to the issues.

The wiki is overall extremely helpful. The wiki provides very good summaries of the chapters in the Brighton book and even provides a way to quiz us on the information.  I like that if there was a certain section of the book that we found unclear from the author's perspective, then we have the ability to see it from a student's perspective on the wiki.


No comments:

Post a Comment